We feel confident, fulfilled, capable and above all happy when we spend time with our friends. Friends make us feel empowered, and for many young women the love of fashion and style plays an important role in personal expression between friends.
For this International Friendship Day (30 July), Max picks out eight distinctive styles your friends embody. So the question is, which one are you?
- The one from the streets: major designers, brands and influencers all have borrowed from and embraced street style to bring a cool edge to their collections. It is the epitome of modern urban fashion that always includes basics like hoodies, t-shirts and sneakers – think cropped or graphic t-shirts paired with striped shorts (AED29) or printed leggings (AED29). Boys can go for jeggings paired with a cool t-shirt (AED35) and sneakers.
- The glamourous and smart one: even for the casual dresser, who hardly thinks about clothes, “What to wear to the office, especially meetings and functions?” is a major dilemma. Not for this friend of yours, they are usually dressed in suits and ties for men and dresses, skirts, shirts and trousers for women. You may be able to take inspiration from their fashion style if you want to shine in your office.
- The athletic one: activewear is basically the same as casual wear for most of Gen Y and Gen Z. Gone are the days where only sports professionals are seen in sports clothes on a trip to get coffee. Today celebrities continue to keep activewear and their best workout clothes in plain sight and so does at least one friend of yours. Leggings, tank tops, sports bras, outerwear, polo shirts, yoga pants are all the staples if you want to start to at least appear more active!
- The femme fatale: this friend embodies the ultimate feminine style – she will most often be in skirts, dresses, and blouses with cute details like bows or ruffles, flounces and lace as well as floral prints. Think textured midi skirts with pleat detail (AED30) paired with a pink polka dot top or a sunshine yellow printed top with white skinny jeans (AED39).
- The rocker: the most standout thing this friend wears is a rebellious attitude along with their music artist-inspired alternative approach to fashion. Think iconic rock style staples like skinny jeans, chunky black boots or spikey heels, graphic t-shirts, jackets and dark colours wherever possible. Max has over-sized and boyfriend-fit white t-shirts (AED35) that you could team with black jog pants (AED29) to re-create this look.
- The effortless beauty: this is an elegant style with clothes chosen mostly in black, white, and neutral colors. The whole look is classy and usually monochromatic. Think a graphic print mini shift t-shirt dress with short sleeves (AED45) paired with sneakers.
- The wanderer: whether they are on holiday or planning one, you will always see this friend dressed in summer wear or beach throw-ons fit for a luxury vacation. This style is all about travel and relaxation – think shorts, loose t-shirts, caftans, swimsuit cover-ups, jogger shorts, wide brimmed summer hats and strappy sandals. They will also own a range of full-length maxi dresses (AED80).
- The boho babe: the boho chic style is the modern-day variation of what was once the 1970s hippy style. The colourful and free-spirited nature of this style expresses itself via relaxed fit fabrics, billowy trousers and maxi dresses, usually with floral prints. Why not go for a printed midi A-line dress with long sleeves and smocking-detail (AED80) and cotton or linen shirt and shorts for men
Launched in the UAE in 2004, Max (www.maxfashion.com) is the largest and most trusted value fashion brand in the Middle East, North Africa, South East Asia & India. With more than 400 stores across 19 countries and an online shopping portal in the UAE, KSA and Bahrain. Catering to the mid-market segment, Max retails its own private label clothing for women, men and children along with footwear, home and accessories. Max derives its success through its value pricing, clarity in merchandise presentation, market positioning and aggressive market penetration. Max is part of the Landmark Group, one of the largest retail conglomerates in the region
47 total views, 1 views today