UAE: 27th April, 2020: The Holy month of Ramadan for muslims is a time where observers spend the month focusing on prayer, reflection, and community. This year, Ramadan began on Friday, April 24 and will end on Sunday, May 24. After Ramadan comes to an end, Muslims observe Eid al-Fitr on Monday, May 25. This celebration is marked with lights, decorations, gifts, and celebrations. As people prepare for Ramadan, it’s helpful to see what type of role mobile devices have in this preparation.
Mr. Warrick Billingham, VP of Sales EMEA & LATAM said, “The increase in mobile usage continues to be a growing trend for consumers in the MENA region during Ramadan where time spent online and consumer spending is higher than any other period in the year. Thus, requiring businesses to change their approach during this important period with a stronger mobile advertising strategy.”
To better understand mobile behavior, AdColony surveyed people throughout the Middle East and North Africa about mobile usage during the Ramadan season. The Ramadan Survey was distributed to residents across the MENA region to get more insights about people’s daily preferences during this time. Respondents’ ages ranged from 18 to 75 and were typically aged 25 to 44.
Survey Highlights – MENA
- More time on smartphones – 62% of respondents say they will spend more time on their smartphones during Ramadan.
- Mobile games are popular in every season – 56% of respondents say they will spend more time playing mobile games during Ramadan.
- Power of an advertisement – More than half of the respondents (60%) have purchased something on their mobile device directly from an advertisement and 77% said they would purchase something on their mobile device directly from an ad if the product was relevant to them.
- Mobile devices don’t prevent them from fasting – 63% of respondents use their mobile devices during the day compared to after iftar (27%) and during suhoor (10%).
- In-app and online shopping on top – 82% of Ramadan shoppers mostly use their smartphones for online shopping and 51% of Ramadan shoppers prefer to buy in-app.
- Clothes and groceries are the most purchased products – Clothes, groceries, and confectionery products are the items most Ramadan shoppers are planning to purchase.
Survey Highlights – Egypt
- Mobile games are still popular during Ramadan – 47% of respondents use their smartphones while 36% of respondents say they will spend more time playing mobile games during Ramadan.
- Relevancy is the key – 67% said they would purchase something on their mobile device directly from an ad if the product was relevant to them and 53% have purchased something on their mobile device directly from an advertisement.
- Most preferred is in-app – 76% of Ramadan shoppers mostly use their smartphones for online shopping and 49% of Ramadan shoppers prefer to buy in-app.
- Mobile devices don’t prevent them from fasting – 51% of respondents use their mobile devices during the day compared to after iftar (36%) and during sahur (13%).
About the Study
Ramadan Survey asked people across the MENA region a series of questions about their behavior and preferences during Ramadan season. The survey asked about mobile games, shopping preferences, and smartphone usage. Respondents’ ages ranged from 18 to 75 and were typically aged 25 to 44.
AdColony is one of the largest mobile advertising platforms in the world with a reach of more than 1.5 billion users globally. With a mission to elevate the state of mobile advertising by focusing on the highest quality consumer experiences that deliver outcomes for brands and publishers on today’s most popular apps, AdColony is trusted by Fortune 500 brands and over 85% of the world’s top grossing mobile publishers. Known for our exclusive Instant-Play™ HD video technology, proprietary rich media formats, our global performance advertising business and programmatic marketplace, and our extensive ad SDK footprint in the top apps worldwide, we are passionate about helping brands connect with consumers at scale on the most important screen in their lives.
With the global and local know-how and 32 offices worldwide, AdColony has a passion for delivering customized unique solutions by helping companies to personalize their mobile marketing initiatives. Fortune 500 brands and over 85% of the world’s top grossing mobile publishers trust AdColony to tell their brand story – knowing that their target customers are going to see and hear it.
293 total views, 1 views today